Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Go Vegan

I have invited the wrath of many of my acquaintances, family members, friends, colleagues and others, quite flabbergasted at my turning a vegetarian. Coming from that part of the country where non-vegetarian food is a relish, I have done my bit to become an outcast. So voracious meat-eaters we are that even chicken is regarded as vegetarian.

While it is an ongoing debate (and a never ending one), I am not here to justify vegetarianism and unearth the demerits of non-vegetarian food. Nah! I am not going to say that the length of a human intestine is that of an herbivore or the shape of our teeth, which suggest that we are good enough to survive on plants. The lure of non-veg food is greater than the truth. I don’t want to preach that’ the will to survive is equal in an insect as it is with a mammoth animal’, why should I say so? What is the use of a fowl if it cannot convert itself into a luscious chicken masala or for that matter a goat not being able to turn into mutton Changezi? Pork is so tasty with roasted onions…..how can you ignore and pass by a Steakhouse…visiting .KFC on a weekend is an event for us.

We are indeed at the apex of the animal chain, because all animals are at the mercy of humans. Our birthdays are marked by the death of other animals who lay their lives to ornate our palates, tantalize our taste buds and provide us that lingering taste. Yummy animals…hah!

Don’t’ misconstrue me; I am not a protagonist of the ‘save animals’ movement, or being paid by PETA to carry forward a message. All said and done, there will be non-vegetarians till the end of the world.

2 comments:

  1. vegetarianism... That is something that i don't understand. Pre-historic men tried their best to be on the top of the Food Chain and here were are...

    Meat is something that i can't even dream of giving up even in my wildest dream..

    GOod for you dude... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a vegan for quite a few years and never felt better in my life.
    keep it up.
    you will be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete